SafeAssign is a Blackboard tool used by instructors and students to review the originality of assignments. SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a database of academic papers and identifies overlap between the assignment and existing works. SafeAssign reports the originality of the assignment with a score. Both instructors and students can use the report to review attribution of sources and detection of plagiarism.
What works with SafeAssign?
SafeAssign is available in the Blackboard Content area/Assessments tab/Assignment tool. As you build the assignment, you will be given options under “Submission Details” to include “Plagiarism Tools”. Both single student assignments and Group Assignments may be used with SafeAssign.
Students may submit the following file types: DOCX, DOC, PPT, PPTX, PDF, TXT, ODT, RTF, HTML, and HTM. Spreadsheet files are not supported. SafeAssign accepts ZIP files of the supported file types. Students are limited to files smaller than 10MB.
How to Create a SafeAssign Assignment (Video)
How to View the SafeAssign Originality Report (Video)
Direct Submit Feature
The direct submit feature of SafeAssign allows instructors to check other documents for plagiarism. Instructors simply need to upload the document to the Direct Submit tool. Please see our how-to video for more information.
Best Practices in using SafeAssign:
- Notify your students that you will be using SafeAssign and how it works.
- Use SafeAssign in Assignments that ask students to create work that illustrates quality and integrity.
- Include a plagiarism statement in your course syllabus. Include examples of unacceptable behavior. This is also a good place to list repercussions for submitting plagiarized work in alignment with your colleges’ policy.
- Have a Citation Policy in your syllabus including the preferred style guide.
- Include resources about academic integrity for your students, i.e. websites, UAMS Student Success Center , and SafeAssign information Students: Getting Started with SafeAssign.
For more information about SafeAssign please contact BlackboardHelp@uams.edu.
The UAMS eLearning Team